Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Phrase Study

This past week in my composition II class we were studying phrasing, and how to choreograph a phrase. Our assignment was to visit the gallery on campus and find inspiration for the phrase and choreograph from that. I had recently learned that it was a lot easier to choreograph when you had a shape or mood to start with. The Gestault of choreographing has almost helped me immensely. The Gestault method has actually changed how it think about choreographing in general, and is truly amazing. 
When I went to the gallery I chose an installation, and panoramic narrative, by Deb Sokolow. 

This appears to be two dead bodies that are covered by black table cloths. When I first entered the gallery these bodies were the first things I saw. My initial reaction was fear, lots of fear. After about fifteen minutes in the gallery I was less afraid, but still pretty afraid, I came to the conclusion that I wanted to use the bodies as my inspiration and shaping. I also based my mood of my phrase off fear.
I started off my phrase laying on the floor, exactly like that bodies, used breathing to pull myself up. For the beginning of my phrase I was remaining very grounded and creating tension. In my climax I used more lighter movements and sudden changes, to make it seem like I was coming out of the fear. But right after the climax I fall right back down. I retro graded my beginning to get back on the floor. 
My teacher and class loved the phrase. She said it looked like real choreography and my peers told me that this was something I could create a full solo with. So I do hope to be able to continue with this and maybe expand on it more.

This art piece is by Deb Sokolow : All Your Vulnerablities Will Be Assessed
At the Texas State University Gallery 2. 

No comments:

Post a Comment