Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Textures

In my composition class we have started working with textures in choreography. Mostly taking a lot of things from the Laban and Bartienoff Method. We were told to find some textured images and create a phrase from them. We had to have a movement that was light, lighter, lightest and then strong, stronger, strongest. I chose water from a pool, a sponge type creature, and cracked concrete. Using the pool image was a lot easier for me because I am better with flowy movements. I used this for my light action and did a wave action with my arms. I would send my arms up to the sky to show lightness and then immediately dropped. I didn't focus so much on the sponge texture but the shaping. I just made an abstract circle shape with my hands. This shaped went up above my head in an over-curve and then pushed to the side. I was told by my teacher that I needed to focus on passive weight and using heavy movements. I took a wide second position and tried to drop all my weight down and let go of my head and arms. Doing this passive weight was different for me but I really liked how it felt on my body. I don't normally do this type of movement naturally but I am going to begin to focus more on it. I had some trouble choreographing this because I didn't have a certain image in my mind and I had to go back to the body images that I chose to continue choreographing. I made this second solo a continuing piece of the first solo. I implemented the same motifs and feeling. I have been thinking lately what kind of music I might put with this dance and I would like something instrumental and dark. I can see this piece as a solo but maybe with more work can turn into a duet or trio or even larger. Following this solo that I performed for my class they all analyzed me and said what my aesthetics were and my habits. A post about this will follow soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment